Entertainment is here
New Music, Movie Trailers ..you name it

Oscar 2009 Winners : Slumdog Millionaire does it again

Category: , By Manu
The 2009 Academy Award function just ended and Slumdog Millionaire sweeps 8 out of 10 categories it was nominated. I am really happy now and that is cause of many reasons. Firstly this Oscar awards saw an Indian get three Oscars- Best Original Score and Best Original Song for A.R Rahman and Best Sound Mixing for Resul Pookutty. Secondly I am happy that all my predictions for the movie Slumdog Millionaire and its music is coming true.

The rags to riches story Slumdog Millionaire fulfills its Oscar destiny by bagging the Best Picture and seven other awards, including the directorial honours for Danny Boyle. A story of hope amid squalor in Mumbai, India, “Slumdog Millionaire” also had wins that include adapted screenplay, cinematography, editing and both music Oscars, score and song. Danny expresses his gratitude to everyone and especially to the people of Mumbai saying they “dwarf even this guy” as he held up his Oscar statue.

With two of the three song nominations, “Slumdog” won for “Jai Ho,” the rousing Bollywood number that closes the film. “Slumdog” composer A.R. Rahman, a dual Oscar winner for the score and song, said the movie was about “optimism and the power of hope.” “All my life, I’ve had a choice of hate and love. I chose love, and I’m here,” Rahman said.

The other top winners were Kate Winslet who got Best Actress for the Holocaust themed "The Reader", Sean Penn who got the Best Actor for his portrayal of Harvey Milk in "Milk", Heath Ledger who got Best Supporting Actor for his unforgettable rendition of The Joker in the movie "The Dark Knight", and Penelope Cruz who got Best Supporting Actress for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".

Ledger's Oscar for the Warner Bros. blockbuster was accepted by Ledger’s parents and sister on behalf of the actor’s 3-year-old daughter, Matilda.

“I have to say this is ever so humbling, just being amongst such wonderful people in such a wonderful industry,” said his father, Kim Ledger. “We’d like to thank the academy for recognizing our son’s amazing work, Warner Bros., and Christopher Nolan in particular for allowing Heath the creative license to develop and explore this crazy Joker character.”

“I have to say this is ever so humbling, just being amongst such wonderful people in such a wonderful industry,” said his father, Kim Ledger. “We’d like to thank the academy for recognizing our son’s amazing work, Warner Bros., and Christopher Nolan in particular for allowing Heath the creative license to develop and explore this crazy Joker character.”

The epic love story “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” which led with 13 nominations, had three wins, for visual effects, art direction and makeup. “The Dark Knight” had a second win, for sound editing. The ever adorable Wall-E got the Best Animation Feature Film Award.

Hugh Jackman who hosted this year's Oscars was not the usual comedian host, but a song and dance man. He asked an interesting question in his song- why don't comic book movies get nominated?- a definite dig at the omission of The Dark Knight from most of the important categories. I definitely felt it at least deserved a nomination for Best Picture.

Courtesy: MSNBC for all the quotes which I was not alert enough to remember :D.

For a Full list of Oscar Nominees and Winners go here.

Edit- I made a blunder of mislabelling the 2009 awards as 2008 awards. Corrected. Sorry for that :)


Digg This Add To Del.icio.us Add to Technorati Favorites Add To Reddit Stumble This Add To Newsvine
 

5 comments so far.

  1. Shishir February 23, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    And this success of Slumdog by winning 8 out of 10 nomination and beaten by itself in one out of two remaining (2 songs "Jai ho" and "O saya" are nominated for best song) is just an achievement of decades of toil and brilliant work which each individual has shown in there respective field and ultimately rewarded tonight.http://controversial-affairs.blogspot.com/2009/02/8-oscars-to-slumdog-millionaire.html
  2. Chhavi March 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. Chhavi March 1, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    Hey MAnu I am not denying anything nor do I think I am anyone to do so.All I want is that what all am about to say think from a different perspective
    We all face environmental and heriditry factors to understand the world and shape our thinking better.
    So is the case here ..manybe people think what you are saying is right, that people dnt want to see indian in outside country since they are themselves Indian.

    But there is a point stands- that why the hell these Indian movies to well in overseas?
    If the indians there dont want to see their fellow indian .The indian movies should be downright rejected there.
    I am not sayng that whatI am right and you are wrong.I am saying that We all love to see the sky and it does not bother us if it is here or there .The only differnce is that if our preference changes coz of our liking we would not like it to rain or the sky to get cloudy!

    I hope you try and comprehend to what I just mentioned ..
    ANd I am open to ur suggestion or reply
    chhavikhurana.blogspot.com
  4. Chhavi March 1, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    Manu what I am trying to say is that I am no one to decide what you are saying is wrong or what I am saying is right!
    All I am saying is that
    I am proud of my country and I accept it as it is. I don’t want to alter anything in it.
    Remember song-Rehna tu from Delhi -6? I believe in it.
    I love my country with whatever it has. We have slums and we have many people living under the poverty line.
    Yes we have prostitution in our country. People convert children into beggars.But at the same time we are famous as the warmest host!
    That is why foreigners come to India every year and go ga ga over our hospitality.That is why our Taj mahal is world famous.That is why Madonna follows Indian dresses and jewellery and many more.
    But listen I am not saying all this because I want people to evaluate me saying—
    SO WHAT IF INDIA IS LIKE THIS? EVERY COUNTRY HAVE SOMETHING WRONG OR WHATEVER.!THEY ARE GOOD IN THIS..OR BLAH BLAH
    I am here to STAND BY MY COUNTRY and if people like my country , good for them and if people dont it doesn't bother me at all.my country is not in the rat race.Since it is not comparable!
    Its one of a kind.
    Mind you I am proud of my country and not over confidence. Since over confidence will bring anger and aggression in me if anyone tried to alter its image..I am happy people know that we have other side of fame.
    But I dnt want to throw dirt on others to make them realize how their country is.
    Think of this-Wehave heart to accept all this and that is why we ourselves show the real picture of India in our movies.
    Had they Had it ..they would be winning the Oscar on their countries real pictures credibility. Infact I want to thank them they have bought the world closer to us.
    No I am not seeking sympathy..But yes Empathy!!!
  5. elpi October 20, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    Slumdog millionaire was a good movie, i watched this movie 3 times i love the story of this movie.

Something to say?